Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Smattering of Special Souls

I am sometimes overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people around me, all trying. I cannot decide who gets a star and who doesn't. Who I am to say? It is a small gesture from a single person, not nearly enough. There are so many stories. Here are a smattering of the special souls I have connected with over the last few days.

Kim was just trying to have a conversation in Parco, but little Gael was having none of it. I love it when people like Kim put the stars smack dab in the middle of their forehead, wear it proudly like a third eye, like a special power. Gael, nappy in his cap,
was nonplussed by his star. He wanted only the attentions of one woman: his mother.






I complimented Saskia on her beautiful turqoise necklace as we were crossing the street for more free food during Park Slope Restaurant Night. "Thanks!" she said with a big smile, "I made it!" Turns out she is a jewelry designer, trying to sell her wares online at http://www.sdvdesigns.etsy.com/ and all around. It's not easy. Just coming up with what name to use is a challenge. She's selling at the Brooklyn Flea today and at the Atlantic Antic on Sunday between Bond and Hoyt. "Good luck!" I said, as I gave her a gold star.



With necklaces on my mind, I turned and noticed Sue's amazing dragonfly. When I complimented her on it, she fingered it lovingly and got a funny look on her face.

"This is very special," she told me. When my mother was sick, she gave it to my daughter to give to me and said, 'When I'm gone, this will be me...'"

Wow. I love that. It is a lovely gift to give a loved one, a single object that can stand as a reminder of your continued presence in their life even when you cannot be around anymore. I gave Sue a gold star for sharing with me her special story.

It's funny that the necklace should be a dragonfly, a perfect symbol of the fleeting time we have on this earth, a reminder to follow our own path and pay attention to those we find along the way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment